Thursday 30 May 2013

Astropy : Getting started

The community bonding period of GSoC lasts till 17th June. This is a great opportunity to get familiar with your organization and the repo to which you will be contributing. So far I have set up my work environment. The Python programming I did so far was never a part of an entire software project , so I have been configuring my environment to make this process efficient.

The two sources that have been a huge help to me starting from the application period are:

http://docs.astropy.org/en/latest/development/codeguide.html

http://docs.astropy.org/en/latest/development/workflow/development_workflow.html

They provide very clear step by step guidelines of contributing to Astropy.

Also I have configured my emacs as per the directions given  in http://docs.astropy.org/en/latest/development/codeguide_emacs.html
This makes it very easy to maintain the required indents, pep8 guidelines, etc when developing with emacs. It is very much a must-do. Astropy has also generously provided me with the license to a full-fledged commercial Python IDE - PyCharm. So I am also trying my hand at that.

Another very useful suggestion I got from Astropy  is to become acquainted with virtualenv. So I have also created a virtualenv for Astropy/Astroquery on my system.

Besides this I have been reading up on a few topics :

Firstly I have been looking up the PEP 8 style guide for Python.

Also since we will be documenting everything with Sphinx, I found a nice tutorial that gave me a good introduction to this.

I had already forked the repos for astroquery and astropy. So now I am  getting familiar with the codebase.

Apart from this there is a growing list of Tasks (thanks org-mode!) that I intend to finish in the community bonding period.

No comments:

Post a Comment